passport form
  consent form


Italian citizens interested in applying for a new passport or renewing an existing one may apply in person at the Passport Office or send the requested, notarized, documentation by mail. The documents needed are the following:

  • Passport which is due to expire;
  • Two passport-size photographs, in color with the subject facing the camera;
  • Italian male citizens between the ages of 17 and 45 must also provide documentation indicating their status in regard to military service;
  • copy of Alien Registration card (green card) or the US Passport;
  • filled application for issuance or renewal of passport

All signatures, passport pictures, and photocopies of requested documentation MUST BE NOTARIZED by a public notary if the application is turned in by mail

If the applicant wishes to have his new/renewed passport mailed back, HE MUST PROVIDE A SELF-ADDRESSED PRE-STAMPED ($4,50) ENVELOPE.

Passport fees are subject to change every 3 months.

from January 1st to March 31, 2006 fees are:

  • $55.30 for a new passport with one year tax included
  • $48.30 a renewal passport with one year tax included
  • $48.30 for each additional year

Payment in person can be made by cash or money order only (no personal checks or credit cards will be accepted). Applications turned in by mail must be paid with MONEY ORDER only.

An Italian Passport is renewable only up to 10 years from the initial date of issue.

If the person requesting the passport has minor children, the “Consent” of the other parent is necessary, even in the case of a divorce, separation,
or cohabitation, and must be notarized by a public notary if not signed in front of a consular officer. The applicant must also provide the birth certificate of the children indicating the names of both parents.

If the person requesting the passport is a minor (less than 18 years of age) the “Consent” of both parents, even if divorced or separated, is necessary.

Minors can also apply for an individual passport.  

If the applicant is not a resident of this Consular jurisdiction, the granting or renewal of a passport is subject to the approval of:

  1. The Questura (Police Office) in Italy, or
  2. The Italian Embassy or Consulate holding jurisdiction.

Italian citizens who lose or have their passports stolen must file a report with the Police District where the incident occurred. Italian citizens who are legal residents of the U.S. may apply for a duplicate. Citizens residing in Italy may apply for a travel document valid only for re-entry into Italy.

In all cases, you must come personally to the Consular Office with the following documents:

  • Two passport photographs (2×2 inches in size, identical, full face, front view)
  • Copy of the police report
  • Valid identification document

You missed